1.27.2011

i keep getting questions about the change in my camera bag from canon to nikon. i wish i had a great reason for the change, but in the end it was primarily fueled by curiosity, theft, and a tinge of boredom.

here's the whole story. my camera bag was stolen in november out of my car. it had two cameras, two lights, and four lenses in it along with various batteries, memory cards, and sundry items. all in all we are talking over ten thousand dollars. ouch, right? surprisingly i shed very few tears over the situation though i did let a few fall the night it happened out of frustration.

after a lovely round of phone calls to my insurance company, the majority of it was covered and i was faced with the dubious task of rebuilding the entirety of my equipment even down to the camera bag itself.

lots of canon faithfuls are jumping ship to nikon these days due to focus issues and i wasn't sure i'd love nikon but i gave it a shot. i still didn't LOVE it but i was impressed with the focus. i mean those suckers are sharp and consistent. i didn't (and still don't) love the color, but that is a learning and adjustment process.

when it came down to it, i made spreadsheets of cost comparison, i tried out a friend's d700 and ordered both from amazon for some comparison as well. i kept the nikon. i still miss my canon sometimes.

as for the boredom, i was 'diagnosed' in college with something called 'too many aptitudes' meaning essentially that new skills in general come too easily to me, which lends itself to me enjoying new projects but then dropping interest quickly when i try something else, and never feeling challenged enough to really dig deep into most subjects. basically its a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none syndrome... so i figured maybe switching to nikon would re-ignite a bit of a challenge on the photography front.

so when you get down to brass tacks, there wasn't much of a reason and i still love that beautiful canon glass. i'm enjoying my new equipment and am looking forward to getting to know it better this spring when i start working again.

7 comments:

Ali Foley Shenk said...

I had no clue that "too many aptitudes" was a "diagnosable" thing! I'm the same way!! Makes for decisions that probably look a little nutty to people on the outside, but it always makes sense to me! Glad to know I'm not alone.

That said, wish that the theft thing wasn't a part of why you switched! Alas.

mollie said...

Crazy, right?! Google it- it's quite interesting

Anonymous said...

"too many aptitudes" sounds like a problem like "my wallet can't fit all my fifties and my diamond shoes are too tight!" --ha ha ;)

Seriously though, I hope the nikon adds the challenge you want, because your photography is too great for you to want to try and do something else!

mollie said...

hey diamond shoes sound pretty painful to me. haha!

seriously though, that made me laugh. too bad the description is more like 'tends to be a job-hopper and hyper sensitive' rather than 'too many fifties for my wallet!'

erin said...

except for knitting... ;)

mollie said...

amen, erin! except pretty much anything that requires precision. this includes baking, knitting, sewing, and mathematics. :)

Elizabeth Phillips said...

Just so we are clear...I am laughing AT you, not with you. Did you just confess that you find new skills easy to master and identify this as a problem? Ha! I love you. My problem stems from a lack of motivation to learn new skills. And complete lack of self-discipline. So many report cards touting my unwillingness to live up to my potential...