4.21.2011

so i was feeling a little resentful this week when i realized my church (that i LOVE) is not having any kind of church service sunday morning for easter. instead they are opting for an afternoon celebration, communion, and cookout with the homeless downtown. i haven't ever been part of a church that was so completely invested in others and while i appreciate that more than i can express, i was a little bummed. my initial reaction was 'really? does everything have to be different??'

there are so many lovely memories of childhood that surround easter for me. i will always remember standing next to my mom wearing a gardenia corsage that my dad gave us every single year watching her cry as she sings 'christ the lord is risen today'. every year there was an easter egg hunt with hot pursuit of the 'dollar egg' by all three of us kids. i think we dyed eggs until i was 21 or so. (and i'm the youngest child!)

i was looking longingly at the smocked dresses in the girls' closet then i read a blog entry about the intention behind the big downtown celebration of passover instead of a traditional service. my favorite quote was "So between ages 0-32, I celebrated Easter the fun way: with bunnies, baskets, and expensive clothes. I mean, what better way to say “Jesus reigns” than dressing my preschooler in a $45 dress to show her off in the church lobby? (You’re welcome, Jesus. Be blessed.)"

it was enough to make me laugh and shake off my hang ups and decide that i guess i can get on board with this new way to celebrate that jesus proclaimed our freedom and showed us the full extent of his love. (you can read the whole blog entry HERE if you're interested)

now before you go calling me hippy dippy, be sure you hear that i know it is all about your intentions. neither celebration is right or wrong, and both are pointless when the message gets lost in the pomp and circumstance.

Christ the Lord is risen today, Alleluia!
Sons of men and angels say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth reply, Alleluia!

Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once he died our souls to save, Alleluia!
Where's thy victory, boasting grave? Alleluia!

Soar we now where Christ has led, Alleluia!
Following our exalted Head, Alleluia!
Made like him, like him we rise, Alleluia!
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

What a nice post. :) You're such a good person.

Aja said...

I think both ways are correct. Maybe those childhood memories of yours are part of what has strengthened your faith and made you the person God created you to be. Celebrating Easter with the homeless is wonderful, but wearing smocked dresses and going to traditional church is fine too.

Kessler said...

Thank you for this post! I read your pastor's blog post as well and think I will save it and pass it along... very nicely put.