12.05.2007

i'm sure you've heard the very classy phrase "opinions are like assholes... everyone has one". (hey, i warned you that it was classy!) but i have never found that to be more true than with a baby.

i've heard opinions on pretty much everything i have done or planned to do- from the natural birth to when to start her on solid food everyone suddenly feels like you are open game for their thoughts on how they think things should be done.

i just read this article and while i'm not convinced, it does make me even more comfortable with our goal to not incorporate television into lily's daily life until she is 2. (as recommended by the AAP)

the basic jist is that a connection has been found between television watching and autism. again, i didn't say its gospel, i just think its interesting.

the funny part to me is that people have an opinion on the fact that we have made it our goal to not watch tv regularly with our child. even if we change our minds in the future i will never regret not watching more television with her.

then again, this is just my asshole... i mean opinion. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to make sure we don't watch a lot of TV with her, right now I always have the TV on durring the day (she doesn't look at it) so I figure its okay but I might have a hard time breaking my own self of the habbit. I have so many tv shows I love, though luckily a lot of seasons are ending now... so that will be good. I should just put it on XM radio and close the doors so I can just listen to music.... sometimes I wish we could remove the tv's entirely but I grew up on tv, I'm so attached! Also if we don't watch tv with her which is my goal once she's old enough to start notcing it and tryiung to watch it... what will i do over other people's house!?

Amy, also known as Amu said...

How odd that people would have a problem with you wanting to not make your child a couch potato? Here's one more unsolicited opinion: I think you should raise your child however you see fit.