6.05.2010

they just don't write 'em like they used to. i was riding to dallas loving pandora on my iphone and found myself singing really loud when an old hymn found its way through the speakers (i could write a whole post about how well pandora knows me and use this as just one of many concrete examples! hah!)

its one of those songs that growing up in church of course i have heard so many times and i still am stumped by the beauty of the words and their meaning.

Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of God's unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

so then i was stuck in a car for two more hours wondering what the heck an 'ebeneezer' is and having made a promise for no texting or reading in the car, i patiently waited, then promptly forgot all about it until this morning. ahh mommy brain at its finest.

well it turns out that an ebeneezer (pronounced 'evan haazar' in hebrew) is literally a pile of remembrance stones to mark God's grace in our lives. figuratively it can be anything that helps you mark God's presence in your life. it was just a nice reminder to really take the time to notice and appreciate God's hand.

now if you don't have pandora- get to it! you'll thank me :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my two favorite hymns.. my other favorite is In Christ Alone. Also great!

Erin Ivey said...

You'd have to use tiny stones or that pile could get out of hand fast.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

love that song.

Elizabeth Phillips said...

Love that song. And the reason why we're thankful G is a girl, or we'd have had to name her Ebenezer.