12.13.2010

susanna kathleen- our little annie.

we were at a loss when it came to naming our third girl. having already used family names for our first and second, we felt like we'd just plain run out of decent ideas (seeing as 'esther irene' isn't really our speed).

we tossed a LOT of names around. a whole lot. kevin has surprisingly strong opinions about baby names and did his fair share of veto'ing.

just a week or two before her birth i mentioned the nickname 'annie' and kevin was hooked. he then set out to come up with the perfect formal name for his girl that i could get on board with. (all of our girls have longer given names with nicknames) we considered a bunch and were out on a date saturday night and when 'susanna' was thrown out, we both liked it... a lot.

then i looked up it's meaning. ' It is derived from Σουσάννα (Sousanna), the Greek form of the Hebrew שושנה Shoshannah, which is derived from the Persian شوشان shoshan meaning lily, true beauty'. THEN we realized, our first date was at a restaurant called 'suzi's'. it just seemed to fit and when she was born kevin held her for the first time and confirmed 'yep, she's a susanna'.

so our dangerously close to unnamed child ended up with an adorably sweet name that feels just perfect for her, fits with lily and eve and has a sweet story to boot!

we love you, annie!

9 comments:

kinsey said...

i love her name, and the story. not going to lie, over the weekend i was trying to guess what yall would choose! ha. scott also has great opinions on baby names and if we ever have a girl i know it will come down to the day of her birth to decide. we don't agree on any at all. congrats!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story for a beautiful name! "For you created my inmost being. You knit me together in my mother's womb- Psalm 139" What a beautiful job He did. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

AND she still has a family name since both your middle names are Kathleen. mom

Elizabeth Phillips said...

Also, it comes with a song...Oh, Susanna!...and MUSICALS!!!! Love love love!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree, a great story for a beautiful name and a beautiful little girl. Congratulations again!

Ms. Nelson said...

That's incredible. love love love!

susanna said...

It is a great name! :) When I saw it I did a double take, my sister's name is Kathleen! (I am a friend of Olivia Schmitt's, btw). I have always loved my name and love its meaning also. Congratulations!

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Perfect!!!

Kelly F. said...

I still follow your blog time to time from Mom's corner days...I remember talking about the name Donovan for a boy with you, but alas, no boys for either of us!

I was excited to hear the name of your third girl...and it's the same as my beautiful firstborn who was due the same time as your Lily...Susanna!! Beautiful. I'm sure yours will be as sweet as ours :) Congrats. (I'm kind of secretly hoping when we have our third, it will be our third girl, too...)