4.25.2011

our first child was a terrible sleeper. had a suck sleep association which eventually led to wakings every 45min-1.5hours ALL NIGHT. ferber rocked our world in about 2 nights and since then she has slept ah-may-zing. she's nearly 4 and still sleeps great, takes naps, loves her bed.

my 2nd child was (and still is) an easy going dream. no sleep training necessary. i attributed this to my improved parenting skills ;)

then came annie. she's not a terrible sleeper. she was doing awesome there for a while- waking just once a night to nurse while sleeping 7:30pm-6am. then it all went to pot. for the past month she has been getting up about 4x a night. this doesn't work for several reasons which include the fact that i cannot be a zombie and work or take care of my children.

after a particularly hard week with very little sleep, we decided to reacquaint ourselves with dr. ferber and give it a shot. ONE night with ONE measly crying session that lasted less than 30 minutes (so really less than she has cried in the car at one time) was all it took. she woke up and cried out a few other times before going back to sleep. the 2nd night, she only nursed once. the third night, she only nursed once.

in fact, tonight i woke up at 3:30 to the sounds of her coo'ing in her bed. so we've gone from screaming bloody murder 4x a night to waking once while rolling around pleasantly. i'll consider that a success thankyouverymuch.

the other improvement is naps. i have had to rock this child into a sleepy oblivion for 4 naps a day and now i am laying her down totally awake but calm and she's napping. i can't tell you how much this changes the game. trying to quietly rock a baby for 30 or more minutes at a time, four or more times a day when you have a toddler and a preschooler roaming your house can be a hard pill to swallow. i fully admit these are the complications of having so many kids, so young in age but its nice to know i won't have to emerge from a dark room to find my children putting on makeup in my bathroom anymore.

all this to say, ferber gets an awfully bad rap sometimes but frankly i'd give the guy a big kiss if i could. and now, i think i'll go get some more sleep :)

12 comments:

lynde said...

so happy for you. sleep is your friend.

Lisa said...

Smart mama! Thanks for sleeping, Annie.

Michelle said...

I agree. Everyone is happier when they are well rested, especially babies. It is important for them to learn to be able to put themselves back to sleep. You are helping them develop life long sleep habits, how can that be a bad thing? I know people who refuse to sleep train and they have 5 and 6 year olds that can't sleep through the night and are tired and unfocused all the time. Is that better than letting a baby cry for a couple nights? I did it with both of my children and they are wonderful sleepers. I won't hesitate to do it with the next.

Anonymous said...

That man is a genius!! Nice work Mollie. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to have three that young, two 16 months apart is crazy enough over here :) I love reading your blog, you have an amazing talent for putting into words what so many Mom's are going through.
Alissa Geise

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON! I'm with you, Ferber ain't for everyone, but sometimes he can be a tired (x100) mama's very best friend. Here's hoping this great trend continues and only gets better & better! (touch wood / fingers crossed)

Courtney said...

AMEN!! I am so happy you are getting sleep! We, too, are very big fans of Ferber. Both of my boys were TERRIBLE sleepers. I did Ferber with Nate when he was 6 months old and it worked wonderfully. Will was an even worse sleeper, so he got the Ferber at 4 months. He is now sleeping 12 hours at night and taking great naps during the day. Ferber does get a bad rap, but it has truly been such a blessing for us.

Sleep sure is grand, ain't it?!!

Stephanie said...

Good for you! I'm glad Ferber has worked out for you :)

Sarah said...

more.details.please!

my first son was an excellent sleeper, especially for naps where i would just lay him in his bed and he'd fall asleep on his own.

my second son is four weeks younger than annie and i'm pretty close to losing my mind. he also takes around 30 minutes to go down for a nap, which is just unmanageable with a two year old in the house.

so, i'd love some more details on what exactly you did with annie, if you have a moment :)

Ali Foley Shenk said...

That is the exact description of all three of my kids. Can't lie, I'm waiting for that 4-month mark so we can pay our own house visit to Dr. Ferber and sleep again. Right now, there's not enough caffeine in the world...

Staci said...

yeah!! you know i'm ferber's #1 fan =)

stixsandstones said...

So refreshing to read this post! I wish I sleep trained my son way before 14 months old, and saved us all our sanity. I admire your gentle mothering and wonderful posts!

molly said...

Hmmmm, I must look into this. We had no problem with our first. Our second? He's one on Monday and he still won't sleep. I don't know what he has against sleep. But mama needs some. And fast!