7.15.2011

open letter to the swimmer in lane 5:

thanks for having a good attitude about me asking you to share your lane. i hate that moment when i walk up to the pool and every lane is taken by a single swimmer knowing everyone is pretending to not see me. while others avoided eye contact and did flip turns, you let me jump right in your lane.

now i won't pretend i didn't see you eye my lack of swim cap and my old navy halter style suit. i'm not sure why you prefer round-robin sharing instead of just splitting the lane. i took one look at your speedo two piece and practical cap and figured it wouldn't be long before i embarrassed myself. i know all too well the polite 'tap' on the foot of someone wanting to swim circles around you. i swam masters, i get it.

i'm training for my first triathlon in five years. there was a time in my life when i couldn't have imagined five months without a race and five years seemed an impossibility. but here i am five years and three kids later and i'm getting back in the lane.

i guess its a sign that you're a competitive person when you find yourself not stopping to de-fog your goggles or pin back your bangs just to keep up with a complete stranger in your lane. what i didn't expect was that it would be me waiting behind you and not vice versa.

just when i started to pat myself on the back for hanging with you for over 1000 meters, you hopped out, donned your oakleys and i got a glimpse of your ridiculous 6 pack and man-arms. which most likely means this was your cool down after some hard core 5 hour workout. oh well, at least my workout can keep up with your cool down.

and lastly, thank you. if you hadn't been in that lane i probably would have swam half as much, half as fast.

sincerely,
mollie

3 comments:

RTT said...

Oh, I can totally relate to this. Mine are almost two and almost four, and I managed a sprint tri last August, and just did an international distance last weekend (at the bottom of the pack). I want to write (Mom of Young Kids) on my chest or something- it's so hard to go from being competitive to struggling to get back into it. Good for you for training for a tri with 3!! little ones! Good luck with your race!

-Jen (Nest August '07 due date club alum)

Colleen said...

I can't say that I can relate, but I can say that I had many chuckles thoughout the story :) It's awesome that you are getting back into something that you loved. For someone who has never even attempted to do an event, I give you a huge pat on the back for having the will to start again!

Cindy said...

You go girl! Training for my second 1/2 marathon!