1.02.2012

okay, it has to come up sooner or later and really i'd love another place to complain... i mean talk about it :) i posted a link to the book i just read, 7 by jen hatmaker. jen and her husband brandon lead our church here in austin (ANC, love it) and i have read a few of jen's other books. i have been anxiously awaiting this one for over a year- ever since i read my friend susanna's blog that inspired the book.

let's talk about me being crazy for a minute. i'm not what you might call a traditional learner. i can read a fabulous book about parenting with amazing insight in the morning and by mid-day i'm yelling at my kids ripping my hair out. i just learn better by action.

so the general idea is, we live in the land of plenty right? well maybe plenty as i experience it is just too darn much. i'm cutting back in the spirit of a fast. i'll be eating 7 foods for 30 days. i'm two days in and gosh i really don't know that i will make it. i like food. i love food. i like cooking. i love filling my house with the aroma of dinner. i like filling my belly with chocolate.

it is an experiment. the book is jen's telling of her own experience- not an instruction manual, but an account of reducing 7 areas of her life for 7 months. i just so happened to want to try out this first month, reducing food. reducing the variety, quantity, obsession, costs, and time it takes in my life. what will take its place? so far prayer. and you never know where that's gonna lead... :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't see it saving you much time. unless lily is fixing dinner, you will still have to fix dinner for the kiddos and kevin AND yourself, such as it may be. BUT if you want to do it, i'm behind you. love, mom

katieskitchenblog.com said...

Good luck Mollie! I think even to do it for a week would be an achievement.

The amount of time I spend thinking about food, planning, buying, preparing, stresing would no doubt be best spent elsewhere. Making sure I eat well, with not too many calories, and am full after each meal as well as doing the same for my husband...I still don't get it right everyday.

(the excpetion being the food on my blog - that is all just for fun)

mollie said...

thanks mom. that feels about as supportive as my 10 year old jog bras, but i know you love me despite my crazy :)

Elizabeth Phillips said...

my hatred of cooking has not made my delving into 7 any easier. I mean Jen spent 20 minutes trying to create a spread out of cooked down apples for her homemade bread. so it certainly would NOT be a time saver for me. but that's not really the point.

Laura said...

I love the idea of trying to simplify things in life, but when people try to think of time savers, I think people need to be careful about looking at food preparation and meals in that aspect. I know you eat healthy regularly, but so many in this country don't, largely because they say they don't have time. I think there is a lot to say about preparing and cooking food for your family, regardless of how busy you are, to ensure they eat healthy, and that kids learn good values about the importance of food and taking care of yourself.

Susan said...

Why not take the "seven" idea a step further and enlist seven people to pray for you while you undergo this challenge? Maybe even on the seventh day (Sunday) at 7pm you could all commit to stopping whatever you are doing for a moment of prayer? I admire your determination to simplify your life and in turn seek deeper spirituality in your life.

mollie said...

i think i need to clarify- i'm not talking about the time it takes to shop and prepare food. i'm talking about the amount of time i spend thinking about the next thing i want to eat or talking myself out of eating something bad or dreaming about 7:00 when my kids go to bed and i can have a glass of wine and some chocolate. :) we do eat very healthy at our house but we could do better and eat less processed snacks.

and susan- i love that you said that- i do have a group reading the book with me though we are all taking the challenges differently and in our own unique ways :)

kinsey said...

I love the 7 idea.... I Just might have to try it!