1.25.2011

in case anyone was wondering when the 'princess' phase hits, in our experience it was right around 3 1/2. i just watched the entirety of 'beauty and the beast' with a little girl wearing a sparkly gown, glitter shoes, and a felt crown who insisted on having her hair bow changed to match the current color of belle's gown throughout the movie. thankfully she really only wears three colors...

in fact while typing this i just heard lily say 'okay eve, you're the wolf. chase me and my prince will come save me'

i'm not sure if this whole thing makes my head hurt or if i'm amused. i definitely love seeing how excited she gets about it. the other day kevin asked if she was going to grow up to be a doctor or a lawyer (don't get me started on his choice of options) and her response was 'daddy! i'm going to grow up to be a princess!'

she wasn't too fond of me when i told her that we don't really get to be princesses. i guess she has kate middleton on her side of the argument, but goodness i just wanted to give the poor child a dose of perspective! :)

5 comments:

Elizabeth Phillips said...

Remind her of all the duties and charitable work required of Princesses. What she really wants to be is a Duchess. Or perhaps simply a Lady. Still get the title, a bit of land, a tiara, the gowns, and singing servants, but none of the Paparazzi...not that I've spent a great deal of time thinking about this or anything...

i said...

I met a woman whose daughter was a lawyer for Gymboree, then later Williams-Sonoma, and they asked her 3 year old if he wanted to be a lawyer when he grew up. He said: "No, that's a woman's job!" LOL

katieskitchen said...

I'd like to grow up to be a princess too! I wish I could go back to that state of mind where anything is possible - the older I get the less I have dreams and the less I believe they will come true. Or the less I believe I can make them true.

deb said...

We are in the the stage as well. Though Abby wants to be a princess mommy when she grows up. She does not seem to get that you can have a career and be a mommy. I told her to study hard, go to an ivy league college for an MRS Degree and she looked at me funny. ha!

Muffin Cake said...

I can SO relate. My 3 1/2 year old daughter never cared about television. Suddenly she loves Princess movies, and ever day when she gets home from preschool the first thing she does is change into her ballet outfit (complete with tutu) and tell us how when she grows up she wants to be a ballerina or a princess.